- 2 pints (about 20oz) fresh blueberries (or about 1.5 bags frozen)
- 1 bag (about 12-16oz) frozen raspberries- unsweetened, unthawed
- 1/2c sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
Crisp Topping (strussel)
- 1c quick cooking oatmeal
- 1c all purpose flour
- 1c brown sugar (I like dark, but light is fine, too)
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 3Tbsp slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 350F. In a 2 1/2qt oven-safe glass dish (a 9x13 glass dish would work in a pinch, too) mix the blueberries and the frozen raspberries. Sprinkle evenly with sugar. Sprinkle on the lemon zest, and drizzle the lemon juice over top.
In a separate bowl, mix the oats, flour and sugar. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, break the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is in small bits (roughly the size of a ball bearing). Do not make a paste- the mixture will look dry and crumbly. (It should look dry, but if you squeeze some in your fist, it should stick together.) Mix in almond slices. Sprinkle all of the topping over the fruit mixture.
Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is golden and crisp. Allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Top with vanilla ice cream, if you'd like.